On September 1st, 2023, Tesla enthusiasts around the world were treated to an exciting update from Tesla confirming the much rumoured update to the Model 3. In this blog article, we'll delve into the details of this exciting update, the features of the new Model 3, and Tesla Tom's personal ordering experience in Australia
The big news of the day was the launch of the updated Tesla Model 3, dubbed the Highland Edition. Tesla Tom's walkthrough of the Australian Tesla configurator revealed some intriguing changes and improvements.
Model Lineup and Pricing
The Australian market saw the removal of the Performance Model 3, leaving two options: the Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive and the Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive. The starting price for the Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 is AUD $61,900 while the Long Range All-Wheel Drive Model 3 comes in at AUD $71,900. These prices represented a significant increase from the previous AUD $57,400 for the Rear-Wheel Drive model due to the Highland Edition update.
Range and Performance
The Model 3 update brought enhanced performance and range. The Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 now boasts a WLTP range of 513 kilometers with a 0-100 km/h time of 6.1 seconds. The Long Range All-Wheel Drive Model 3 offers an impressive 629 kilometers of range with a 0-100 km/h time of 4.4 seconds.
Exterior and Interior
The exterior of the new Model 3 sports a sleek and updated design. Tesla Tom shared images of the front, side, rear, and wheel well, showcasing the car's stylish appearance. The configurator also offered a range of new colors, including Ultra Red and Stealth Gray, which caught Tesla Tom's eye.
Inside, the cabin received significant upgrades. The interior features a minimalist and luxurious design, complete with wraparound acoustic glass for a quieter ride. Ambient lighting and ventilated seats for the front row enhance the overall driving experience. Tesla also introduced dual displays, with an eight-inch touchscreen for rear passengers to control climate and entertainment.
Tesla's commitment to safety is evident in the Model 3 “Highland" Edition, with standard features such as automatic emergency braking. The vehicle also offers a suite of advanced technology, including enhanced autopilot and full self-driving capabilities. Tesla's ultra-wideband technology ensures superior phone key performance, and the car is equipped with wireless charging capabilities.
Ordering the updated Tesla Model 3
Tesla Tom shared his personal experience ordering the updated Model 3. He opted for the Stealth Gray paint, 18-inch Photon wheels, and the black premium interior. Basic autopilot was included in his order, which came to a total of AUD 61,900, with an additional AUD 400 order fee.
Tesla's configurator made the ordering process straightforward, with limited options compared to some other car manufacturers. Tom's order confirmation left him eagerly awaiting delivery, which was estimated for January to March 2024.
What's New in the Refreshed Model 3?
To provide a more comprehensive overview of the Highland Edition Model 3's updates, Tesla Tom shared insights from content creators who were invited by Tesla to review the new vehicle. Some of the notable changes and improvements include:
- Improved Range: The Model 3 now offers a 12% increase in range, showcasing Tesla's continuous commitment to battery technology advancements.
- Redesigned Interior: The cabin features more premium materials, softer fabric, and new door card designs.
- New Exterior Colors: Ultra Red and Stealth Gray have been introduced, expanding the color palette.
- Interior Changes: A new steering wheel design replaces traditional stalks with buttons, enhancing usability.
- Ambient Lighting: The car boasts multi-color ambient LED lighting, creating a more immersive interior atmosphere.
- Enhanced Sound System: Tesla upgraded the audio system, now featuring 17 speakers with dual subwoofers and dual amplifiers for an immersive sound experience.
- Improved Noise Insulation: The car is quieter, thanks to a 30% decrease in wind and ambient noise, and improved insulation.
- Ventilated Front Seats: The front seats now offer ventilation, perfect for Australian summers.
- Rear Passenger Entertainment: An eight-inch touchscreen for rear passengers allows them to control climate and enjoy entertainment independently.
- Better Aerodynamics: The Highland Edition Model 3 boasts a drag coefficient of 0.219 CD, making it the most aerodynamic Tesla ever.
The arrival of the 2024 Tesla Model 3 in Australia has stirred up excitement among Tesla enthusiasts. With enhanced range, an upgraded interior, and improved features, the new update promises an even more enjoyable driving experience. Tesla's commitment to innovation continues to shine through, ensuring that their vehicles remain at the forefront of electric automotive technology.
"The refreshed Model 3 represents another step forward in the electric vehicle revolution, and it's clear that Tesla remains at the forefront of this transformative industry."
Watch the full video: I ordered a 2024 Tesla Model 3 Highland Update in Australia!